On the western hill of the town of Vathy, stands the Holy Church of the ‘Dormition of the Theotokos – Gardelaki’. The present Church was built in 1845. A smaller Church stood in its place and the Vlassopoulos families extended it to its present size.
The Church houses the embroidered Epitaphios of the Dormition of the Theotokos, a work of substantial size and excellent artistry. Next to the Church stands the Bell-tower, a contemporary architectural work of great aesthetic significance.
Apart from serving as a parish, it is also a cemetery Church. The cemetery contains the grave of the well-known Theophilatos family who was active in Romania, using the characteristic small ships of the Danube, the ‘slepia’. This family was also the first to bring steamships to Greece.