The Church of St Barbara is on a small hill on the southern side of the village of Stavros. It is a rectangular, free-standing, single-room structure that was built before 1836. A smaller Church dedicated to the same Saint existed previously on the same spot. This was then enlarged by Saint Joachim, ‘Papoulakis’ (1786-1868), using donations and money collected for this purpose. He did not initially demolish the smaller Church, but built the larger one around it. Only when this was completed was the smaller one then demolished. The Church served as a parish and later, when the Church of the Transfiguration of the Saviour was built in the center of the village, it began to function as a cemetery Church. It has a beautiful wood-carved Iconostasis with icons of the popular-Byzantine style.